Re: Frame crashes on load

At 7/25/2004 06:53 PM, Jeremy H. Griffith wrote:
>On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:57:50 -0700, Dov Isaacs <isaacs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>And back to the XP Home versus XP Professional issue, it won't make
>>a bit of difference to FrameMaker unless you store your content on
>>network servers and you print to network printers. Windows XP Home
>>really isn't setup for anything other than total solo usage.
>
>I don't want to get into a religious debate here, but my recent
>experience forces me to question the suitability of XP, at least
>XP Home.  I was using a *brand new* HP laptop, Pavilion ze4420us,
>with 768MB of memory and a 40GB drive, XP factory configured.  I
>applied *all* SPs for Windows and Frame.  I'm pretty meticulous.
>
>Yet within an hour of installation, when all that I had done was
>adjust various display options for Explorer, I had an intractable
>problem that ate a full day of my time.  Win 2000 Pro solved it.
>I offer this in the hope of sparing others some misery, no other
>agenda.  I don't blame Adobe; I suspect an MS issue, but can't
>prove that.
>
>-- Jeremy H. Griffith, at Omni Systems Inc.
>  <jeremy@xxxxxxxxx>  http://www.omsys.com/

Or maybe the problem was Hewlett-Packard in terms of the driver
support for Windows XP? And neither I nor anyone else doubt that
you indeed experience the problems you describe and that you are
meticulous in configuring and maintaining your system. However, I
do believe that to generalize on the basis of a single system
experience is stretching quite a bit.

        - Dov