Re: Windows Framemaker .ps file to Mac PDF file

> I have a .ps file we created from Framemaker 7.0 that we need to have
> as a pdf file.
>
> When we tried to distill the file to a pdf with Acrobat 7.0 on
> windows, but the program just stopped. No log file no nothing.

Have you brought Distiller to the front while it's trying to
work? It might give you some indication of what's happening.

How are you generating the PS file? What printer driver are
you using, and are you using the Distiller PPD?

> I took the .ps file home to my mac system and tried distilling it
> with Acrobat 7.0 for mac OS x. It distills, but some of the font
> encoding is incorrect. (I have the same fonts, and made sure that i
> have chosen to embed those in the pdf.)
>
> It looks like that windows encodes to the .ps file different than the
> Mac.

I've made PDFs on my Mac from PS files created on PCs here,
so I know it can be done....

In 7.0, at least on the Mac, there are two different places
in the Print dialog that affect font selection/inclusion --
Font Settings and Save as File. In the Font Settings panel,
you can specify Type 1 or TrueType fonts (presumably where
there's a choice) and tell it to embed all fonts. In the Save
as File panel, you can choose groups of (Type 1) fonts to
include.

You may need to experiment with different settings to find
something you can live with. You might want to try (in Font
Settings) preferring TrueType and "always download needed
fonts" for starters.

--
Larry Kollar, Senior Technical Writer, ARRIS CPE Products
"Content creators are the engine that drives