Re: Windows Framemaker .ps file to Mac PDF file

If you're going to distill a PostScript file on a system other than the
one which generated the PostScript, it's essential to guarantee that
all fonts used are included in the PostScript code. Normally, a Windows
printer driver does not clutter the PS code with font information for
any font that it knows is resident in the target printer. One of the
reasons why you should always use the "Acrobat Distiller" or "Adobe
PDF" printer driver (different names indicate drivers for different
versions of Acrobat) on a Windows machine. That driver knows that
the PS is intended for Distiller rather than a physical printer, and
therefore knows that there are no resident fonts.

Additionally, the newer Adobe PDF printer driver has a special Printing
Preferences property sheet that includes an option "Do not send
fonts to Adobe PDF" (meaning the virtual printer). It's important to
note that this option is *selected* by default because it is normally
better/faster for Distiller to get the fonts it needs to embed directly
from the font files rather than from the PS file; but that is only true
when you're distilling on the same system that is generating the PS.
If you're going to distill on a different machine, the "Do not send
fonts" approach opens the door to all sorts of font availability/naming/
compatibility issues. It is very muchy safer to de-select the "Do not
send fonts" option so that the PostScript file will be self-contained.

My opinion only; I don't speak for Intel
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ