front matter file in book file

In Frame 5, I made it a habit not to put my front matter file (title page +
copyright page) into the book file because I seemed to get a more reliable
PDF later by having the generated TOC as the first book file. (In the PDF I
would add the front matter file manually.)

Now I need to create a book file in Frame 6. Has anyone had trouble putting
the front matter file as the first book file when creating PDFs from the
book file?

Thanks,
Alison Tartt