unavailable fonts

To save my FrameMaker documents as PDF, I'm printing to postscript (using
the Acrobat Distiller printer driver). Helvetica (and possibly others) fonts
are, evidently, unavailable, which causes the predictable messiness when
it's time to print -- files that aren't already opened can't be opened for
printing (because they use unavailable fonts), and when you do open them (by
reformatting using available fonts), cross-references are broken.

Questions:
1. Is there a way to search a file for fonts that were substituted when the
original was unavailable?
2. Where can I see the fonts that are supported by the Acrobat Distiller
printer driver?
3. Is there a way to avoid this nonsense when switching between printing to
a file (for PDF) and printing to a printer?

Thanks!
David