RE: Unavailable Fonts

> I promise I've read everything on the internet that has
> to do with dealing with unavailable fonts. To no avail.

Including the following page? :-)
http://w1.184.telia.com/~u18407300/fonts/unavailable.html

> After playing with the maker.ini file for days, I decided to
> do the quick and dirty method, i.e. turn off "Remember
> Missing Font Names", save the files, and hope that all the
> fonts were replaced with *anything*. That doesn't work!
> I'm thinking perhaps there's some strange interaction between
> ATM and FM, but I can't figure out what it is.

If you close your documents, turn off "Remember...", reopen
the files, confirm the unavailable fonts message, resave the
files, and the reopen the documents again, the unavailable
fonts message should not appear. If it does, you do have some
strange setting. If you're running ATM Deluxe, its automatic
font substitution may interfer with FrameMaker's. Check out:
http://w1.184.telia.com/~u18407300/fonts/unavailable.html#atmdeluxe

I would first check if ATM's substitutions works, *without* having
any extra font mappings defined in maker.ini. If it doesn't, turn
off ATM's substitutions, and add font mappings in maker.ini instead.

> I develop with FM on a Macintosh. I need to open the files
> with FM for Windows.
> I am using primarily two fonts on the macintosh:Adobe
> Garamond and Helvetica Neue. [...] On my windows machine, in
> ATM,  the names of the fonts are AGaramond; AGaramond
> Italic;AGaramond Bold,;Agaramond Bold Itlaic. The helvetica
> fonts are Helvetica 25 Ultralight, Helvetica 35 Thin, etc.
> I have tried all sorts of variations in the maker.ini file,
> both in sections [WindowsToFrameFontAliases] and
> [UnknownToKnownFontMap].

If you do have the corresponding fonts installed on Windows,
but with slightly different names, you should be editing the
entries in the section [WindowsToFrameFontAliases].
You may get some tips from the following web pages:
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/112da.htm
http://www.techknowledgecorp.com/fontini.html

You need to do a mapping between the font names used in FrameMaker
(on Windows) and the font names reported in the FM console window
where the unavailable fonts are listed. For Adobe Garamond, this
should be easy, but HelveticaNeue seems a little more complex.
You should not care about how the font files are named on disk.

> I am still unsure what the differences are between a Windows
> font and a Framemaker font -- not really the concept of which
> is which, but rather what is being reported to me when the
> unavailable fonts message is given.

Check out the INI file online documentation in FrameMaker:
the online manual "Customizing FrameMaker Products" (FM 5.x) or
"Customizing" (FM 6.0), the chapter "Changing Initialization Files",
and finally sections "Basic font settings", "Aliases for Windows fonts"
and "Mappings for unavailable fonts".