FM+SGML: Conditions and attributes?

I'd like to associate a Frame conditional text type with an attribute,
so I can round-trip out to another editing system and bring back the
result without having to find and re-markup up all the conditional text.

The documentation suggests that it's not possible to preserve
conditional text settings in markup when round-tripping text.

Is this true?

If it is true, anyone have hints on the least-painful routine for
achieving what I want to achieve?

Thanks

--
Mark Barratt