S.O.T. Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 and IE 6 dumps Mozilla plug-ins

All:

Somewhat Off Topic, I know.  However, as the Internet is a resource we all
use every day, probably via Internet Explorer, you should know about a
disturbing development

If you apply Service Pack 2 to IE 5.5 on Windows or install IE 6, Java
applets, Quicktime, and who knows what else will no longer work.

     NOTE:  Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 1 and earlier
     are not affected.

This is because these browsers no longer accept or support the Mozilla
interface for plug-ins.  Formerly, the same browser plug-ins could be
installed in IE, Opera, Netscape, etc. because they all implemented a
common interface.

Microsoft clearly has judged that it has so much of the browser market that
it can afford to dump this interface in order to co-opt plug-in developers
into taking the path of least resistance to produce plug-ins that ONLY work
with IE, further increasing Microsoft's dominance.  A courageous move, in
that the anti-trust case is still before the courts.

Now, can anyone tell me how to make Netscape 6.1 the default browser, that
is, the one that launches when you click on an URL in a document or email
message.  I have twiddled the Internet Options control panel and file
extensions associations in the Folder Options dialogue, but STILL Internet
Explorer launches when I click an URL.

     NOTE:  If you dumped Netscape 6 because it was slow and buggy,
     (I did) be prepared for a pleasant surprise.  Netscape 6.1 is
     at least as fast as IE 5.5, loads quickly, interprets CSS
     correctly, displays XML, and is a pleasure to use.  I recommend
     installing it as default and keeping IE 5.5 SP1 in reserve.

Bafflingly, nowhere in Netscape 6.1 Help or on the Netscape web site were
there instructions for making Netscape the default (wouldn't you expect
this to be Topic Number One?).  Can anyone help?

[Windows 2000]

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor