Re: WWP vs. mif2go

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 09:00:59 +1100, "Kevin McGuire"
<kevinm@aurema.com> wrote:

>Are there plans for a UNIX version of mif2go?

Oddly enough, Mif2Go *originated* on UNIX, SunOS
specifically, but after many years of zero sales
of the UNIX version we dropped it...  We were
going to do a Linux port, but Adobe quashed that
plan when they failed to port the FDK, without
which it's impossible to support FM equations.
And then they dropped Linux entirely... very sad.

When Lucent bought a site license, which includes
source, we thought surely they'd do a port, seeing
as they *invented* UNIX... but no, they are phasing
it out instead.

It might not be that hard to do, especially if you
don't need RTF; we did some Win-specific things for
the RTF Conversion Designer, and there are points
in the RTF graphics processing where we abandoned
our careful endian-neutrality for performance, but
the rest should go pretty easily.

We might actually get to a Mac version sooner; we
have a Mac sitting in the lab, waiting... ;-)

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/