RE: erroneous unresolved cross-reference reporting

Hedley,

I think I have, but haven't taken the time to unscrew 'em and by the
time I got to a final book they'd gone away. Hidden conditional text is
a likely suspect in the couple of instances I can recall of clicking
those links in the book report and getting a null result; at least, in
both those books, there early existed outdated hidden conditional text
that I deleted in the course of other editing of legacy content...and
when I got to the production end of the project, I didn't get any but
real broken links in the book report, so I didn't have to do any further
forensic work. (Some of those Mac legacy projects involved real MIF
hacking to clean out ghosts of ancient fonts...a tri-platform book that
survived four generations of Frame.)

If memory serves me, this has happened both on Windows 2000 and Mac OS
9.04 with Frame 6.0.

Deborah Snavely
Document Architect
QA & Documentation
Aurigin Systems, Inc.
home office: 541-688-8690
voicemail only: 408-517-7414

>In FM 6, when you update a book file a Book Error report document is
>created.  This consistently lists unresolved cross-references which,
when
>investigated by searching for or generating an index of UCRs, prove to
be
>non-existent.  A possibility is that the affected documents contain
many
>conditions applied to certain cross-references and to their targets.
For
>any given deliverable, there will be both hidden cross-references and
their
>hidden targets.  A possible hypothesis is that the hidden
cross-references
>on the (invisible) reference pages are somehow being registered by the
book
>update as unresolved.
>
>Has anybody else experienced erroneous UCR reporting during book
updates?