inconsistent colors

I have upgraded to 6.) from 5.56. One file in one of my books was giving me
the inconsistent color message when I attempted to generate the book. Try as
I might, I could not get this message to go away. I would delete the
offending colors from the file, save the file, look at the color definitions
again... and the offending colors were back in the color list. I'm convinced
that there is something trashed in this file, but I don't know what to do to
find the problem. Now that I have converted the book to Frame 6, I've
noticed that I still have the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Nick Franks