Re: word spacing & justification

At 4:22 PM -0700 21/6/2001, Victor Caston wrote:
>(Incidentally, how does the "standard space" get set? I noticed it
>changed for different font sizes, but didn't detect an obvious
>correlation.)

It changes when one applies spread in Paragraph Designer > Default
Fault.  +/- 1% = +/- .01 em standard space. I assume that the default
setting of .25 em at 0% spread was a more or less arbitrary but
informed choice of the designers of the application. 4 to the em is a
pretty good measure to start from when calculating word spacing; en
and em are obviously too big, 5 to the em might work but 6 to the em
and smaller would be much too narrow. Anyone on the list know the
history of this?

You might try using spread to tighten or loosen the lines. The easy
way is to make a series of paragraph styles identical to the style of
the paragraphs that you are working on except in having the spread
increased or decreased slightly; I normally use increments of .1%.

LTM
--
Lindsey Thomas Martin
lmartin@sfu.ca / 604.215.9490

Publications, The Fraser Institute
4th floor, 1770 Burrard Street
Vancouver BC V6J 3G7 Canada
lindseym@fraserinstitute.ca
tel 604.688.0221 x584 / fax 604.688.8539