Indexing issues

We're working with chapter and book level indexes that pose little or no
problems because of their smaller size. However, we are also developing the
master index of all our documents, and it is very large. The one issue that
I am facing at the moment is that a primary entry might be located a page
or two before the current region in the index. Is there any way to carry
over the primary entry (continued) and/or the secondary entry (continued)
over to subsequent columns and pages?

Another question of style - what are your thoughts on alphabetical ordering
- by word or letter-by-letter?

Thanks in advance.
Greg Hamill