Re: Instructor-Student, A-B flows

The discussion about Instructor-Student flows
brings to mind a training manual I wrote a few
months ago. The trainer wanted trainer
notes on the left pages, and student content
on the right. The students should only recieve
student content, but the trainer's manual had
to have the same page numbers so the trainer
could refer to them.

I ended up using a single flow, using Trainer
and Student paragraph tags set to start at
top of the page. To create the student manual
I printed the odd pages only; to get the trainer
manual all pages were printed.

The problem was the page numbering - all the
page numbers in the Student manual would
be screwy (1, 3, 5). And there is no way in Frame
(that I know of) to give different master pages
or different flows separate page numbers.

What I did instead was create a special flow
on the right (student) master page, where the
page number would be. I placed a special
tag with an auto-number that incremented
by one - so on each right page, it would
increase by 1 and masquerade as a page number.
The only drawback to this solution is
cross-referencing—a cross reference would
give you the wrong "page number". Fortunately
there was no need to cross reference this document.

But for next time ... does anyone know of
a more elegant solution?

- Joel Van Valin
  Publishing Business Systems