RE: Autonumbering

Just to share, I thought I'd pass on my thoughts on the matter.

I set up the chapter autonumber as follows:

A:<n+>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>< =0>

where A: is the series designator and the counters are (in order):
chapter number, H1, H2, H3, Table, Caption

The <n+> automatically populates the Chapter number (frontmatter roman
numeral chapters are set separately), < =0> sets the respective counters
back to zero, so that when I start a new chapter, I know the chapter number
is correct and all else starts at the beginning.

Here are the individual paragraph autonumbers:

H1 = A:< ><n+>.< =0>< =0>< >< >
1.
Where < > is the chapter place holder, <n+>. is H1 (1.) and H2, H3 are
reset to zero, Table and Caption stay as they are.

H2 = A:< ><n>.<n+>< =0>< >< >
1.1
Where < > is the chapter place holder, <n>. repeats last H1 (1.), <n+>
increments H2, H3 reset to zero, Table and Caption stay as they are.

H3 = A:< ><n>.<n>.<n+>< >< >
1.1.1
Where < . is the chapter place holder, <n>. repeats last H1 (1.), <n>
repeats last H2 (1.), <n+> increments H3, Table and Caption stay as they
are.

Table = A:Table <n>< >< >< >-<n+>:\sn< >
Table 1-1:
Where <n> repeats the chapter number, < >< >< > hold H1, H2, & H3 in place,
-<n+>:\sn inserts a dash, increments the Table number, inserts a colon and
adds an en space before a table title.

Figure Caption = A:Figure <n>< >< >< >< >-<n+>:\sn
Figure 1-1:
Where <n> repeats the chapter number, < >< >< > hold H1, H2, & H3 in place,
< > holds the Table number, and -<n+>:\sn inserts a dash, increments the
Figure number, inserts a colon and an en space before the caption.

This autonumber series insures my chapter numbering is consistent (even if
I change the order), resets the H2 & H3 counters to zero whenever I use H1,
resets H3 to zero whenever I use H2 and automatically increments Tables and
Figure Captions within chapters (sections).

I hope this helps someone and, if I forgot something, please let me know!

Dennis
Dennis Hays
Manager, Documentation Services
Novalis Corporation