Re: What causes a new IX or TOC reference page to be created?

> When the user creates a book and
> generates the TOC and Index a new reference page, named TOC1 or IX1,
> is created and used. [...]
> Over the years I have run into this from time to time, a situation where
> the TOC or Index is being generated wrong because there are two
> different reference pages, but I have never known why it happens.

When FM is to create a generated list of any kind, it uses the
corresponding Reference page for formatting, in the following way:

1. First, decide what file to look in for the Reference page:
   If the generated file already exists in the file system, use that file;
   otherwise, if the file is generated from a document, use that file;
   otherwise, if the file is generated from a book, use the first file
   in the book.

2. In the file from step 1, look for a correctly named Reference page,
   *and* containing a text flow with a correctly named flow tag.
   Both the Reference page and the flow tag must be named *exactly*
   the same as the suffix of the generated file, *without* any blanks,
   e.g "TOC". If such a page/flow is found, it is used.

3. If no such Reference page can be found, one is created with default
   formatting, and will be the page used for formatting the list.
   If the Reference page does exist, but its text flow doesn't have
   the correctly named tag, an extra Reference page is created with
   default formatting. The Reference page will be named with an extra
   ordinal number added to the suffix, e.g. "TOC1", and will be the
   page used for formatting the list.

So, the problem with extra added Reference pages is due to an
incorrectly named text flow on the original Reference page, in the
file used for locating the Reference page. You must bring up the
Object Properties dialog for the text frame on the original
Reference page, and check that the flow tag doesn't contain any
extra characters apart from the suffix, like a trailing blank,
e.g. "TOC ". Then delete the extra Reference pages ("TOC1" etc.).
And make sure you do this in all the files possibly used as a
source for the Reference page, according to step 1 above.

In fact, it's quite possible that FM doesn't care about the name of
the Reference page, only the name of the text flow. I haven't tested
what happens if you rename a "good" Reference page.