What causes a new IX or TOC reference page to be created?

I think I'm losing my mind here.  I have a structured template that I
developed which includes pre-set reference pages for the TOC and Index,
named TOC and IX respectively.  When the user creates a book and
generates the TOC and Index a new reference page, named TOC1 or IX1, is
created and used.  Needless to say, the new pages use incorrect
formatting and building blocks.  This is happening every time the file
is generated, not just when it is created.

Over the years I have run into this from time to time, a situation where
the TOC or Index is being generated wrong because there are two
different reference pages, but I have never known why it happens.  Now,
however, I have to figure this out and also find a way to stop this
reference page creation issue.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated,

Steve

	Stephen L. Schwedland	steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
	7951 Depew Street		phone: 303-412-5424
	Arvada, CO 80003		mobile: 303-921-5022