RE: What causes a new IX or TOC reference page to be created?

Thomas Michanek wrote:

<snip>
> 2. In the file from step 1, look for a correctly named Reference page,
>    *and* containing a text flow with a correctly named flow tag.
>    Both the Reference page and the flow tag must be named *exactly*
>    the same as the suffix of the generated file, *without* any blanks,
>    e.g "TOC". If such a page/flow is found, it is used.
<snip>
> In fact, it's quite possible that FM doesn't care about the name of
> the Reference page, only the name of the text flow. I haven't tested
> what happens if you rename a "good" Reference page.

Thomas' second thought is correct. It's *only* the name of the text flow that matters. This makes sense when you think about it. A given page may contain multiple text frames, each with its own flow tag, or a flow may extend over multiple pages (via connected text frames).

For instance, my templates have a reference page named TOC, but I've put 3 text frames on it. They have the flow tags TOC, LOF, and LOT, and each contains the specs for the corresponding generated file. My IX reference page contains 2 text frames, flow-tagged IX and IOR. These contain the specs for the Index and Index of References files, respectively.

So, I have 5 generated file specifications on just 2 ref pages. There's no reason why a flow consisting of only 3 pgfs (such as my LOF) needs a page all by itself, is there? :-)

Don't worry about the reference _page_ name (shown in the center of the status bar, with the page number). What matters is the _flow_ name (shown on the left when the cursor is in the flow, e.g., "Flow: LOF").

HTH!
Richard

------
Richard G. Combs