Illustrator import in FM7

OK, I need this issue resolved by someone who knows:

Can FrameMaker version 7.0 import *.ai (Illustrator native files)
directly, without going via EPS?
What shortcomings and restrictions are there?

I've been told by a client that FM7 supposedly can import AI files
better than FM6, specifically without importing the entire page
containing the illustration, and just the image itself (cropped).
Or are you still getting a PDF import operation behind the scenes?
(which would give you the entire page, right?)

I've also been told you could drag-and-drop the AI file directly
into FM, without creating a copy, i.e. importing by reference.

Any clarification by Dov, Lee, or anyone who's actually tried
this in practice would be very helpful.

Thanks!