Re: Illustrator import in FM7

Thomas,

Yes it can, I just ran (MacOS) tests. Drag/drop from the finder and/or
import. On importing FM presents an alert telling you there's no preview but
it ought to print ok (it does to paper and pdf both). Judging from the gray
box the image area is that of the bezier objects, not a full page. However,
in my trial (done just for you:) I used one of my (few) eps doc images, and
my modus operandi for bezier>Frame pix is to draw my own bounding box in the
source file (and make sure no handles extend beyond it).

> Can FrameMaker version 7.0 import *.ai (Illustrator native files)
> directly, without going via EPS?
> What shortcomings and restrictions are there?
>
> I've been told by a client that FM7 supposedly can import AI files
> better than FM6, specifically without importing the entire page
> containing the illustration, and just the image itself (cropped).
> Or are you still getting a PDF import operation behind the scenes?
> (which would give you the entire page, right?)
>
> I've also been told you could drag-and-drop the AI file directly
> into FM, without creating a copy, i.e. importing by reference.

Bart Windrum
GUI Fit&Finish and Documentation
Diogenes Inc.
410 17th St. #1260