Re: Illustrator import in FM7

Thomas,

The ability of FrameMaker 7 to import .AI files is strictly a
side effect of Illustrator 9 and 10 by default generating .AI
files that have both Illustrator data and corresponding PDF
data. In fact FrameMaker only "looks at" the PDF data in the .AI
file and not the original Illustrator data. If the .AI file is
save and the "create PDF compatible file" option is not selected,
the content of the .AI file is not imported into the FrameMaker
document.

Similarly, in PDF files exported by Illustrator in which the
"save editability" option is selected, FrameMaker only looks at the
PDF data which by the time FrameMaker imports the file, may in terms
of content be different than the Illustrator private data.

Thus, I would NOT recommend any workflow in which .AI files are
directly imported into FrameMaker, but would rather defer to
Illustrator content saved either as .EPS or .PDF.

        - Dov