Re: PDF files sent from Mac to PC

(Cross-posted...)

Excellent post, Dov. Great summary. Maybe you'd expand on your "ASCII
dogmatism" comments for those who aren't as versed in this issue.

About filenames, I'd add that if you move files around via disks (floppy,
zip, etc.), note that Macs when read PC disks, they see the underlying DOS
filename -- at least the Macs I'm familiar with. The underlying filename of
"MyGoodBook.PDF" may be MYGOOD~1.PDF. This is the name the Mac sees, unless
the new OS's have changed that, and this will be the file's new name on the
Mac.

Obviously this can be a serious challenge when files call files -- for
example, when PDFs call other PDFs, and in Frame, when book files call
chapter files. It's been my single biggest nightmare when working
cross-platform.

If you do a lot of file exchange via disk, consider (ugh) sticking with 8.3
for filenames. It's the only workaround I know.

Tom Neuburger

Dov Isaacs wrote:

>A few more comments based on additional postings on this subject.

>(2) File name lengths. Thank goodness we are past the days of
>eight-dot-three name restrictions for Windows. There are so few
>remaining Windows 3.x users that I believe that we are past the
>point where such accommodations must be made. HOWEVER, Windows
>users should be considerate of Mac users and restrict their
>filenames to 31 characters, including suffix!

Mastering FrameMaker
Foundation: Building Sentence Skills
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/Author%3DThomas%20Neuburger/>