Re: Continuation in numbered procedures

Heidi asked:
We are
finding that we need some method to let users know that they need to
continue on in a numbered procedure. However, we cannot hard code in a
"Cont.", because our manuals are translated into several different languages
and the step may end up with a "Cont." in the middle of a page. I know you
can do a Con't. in a table but that will not work for us either. Does
anybody out there know a way to accomplish this that would meet our US and
overseas needs?

Here's an idea to kick around, that matches something I used several years
ago to meet the needs of technicians taking procedures out of a binder and
laminating them so that they could be alcohol-wiped to take into a class 10
or cleaner cleanroom for reference while they serviced the wafer fab
equipment.

1. Use one Frame file for each procedure. No exceptions.
2. Put a "continued" variable at the top of the Left and Right master pages,
and not at the top of the First master page. When you translate to other
languages, change the definition of that variable (along with the
appropriate language changes you must make to master pages anyway when
localizing).
3. When translations cause text to run longer or shorter, the top of each
page still includes the "Continued" statement (why abbreviate it anyway,
when it needs attention), in whatever the language is...Continue' or
whatever.

None of the other thoughts I had are worth pursuing until Frame lives up to
Hedley's dream of a few years ago, and lets one link specific paragraph tags
to master page layouts.

Deborah Snavely, Senior Technical Writer, Aurigin Systems, Inc.