Re: PDF files sent from Mac to PC

> From: Thomas Neuburger <thomasn@twelfthnight.com>
> Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 10:39:20 -0700
>
> About filenames, I'd add that if you move files around via disks (floppy,
> zip, etc.), note that Macs when read PC disks, they see the underlying DOS

> filename -- at least the Macs I'm familiar with. The underlying filename
of
> "MyGoodBook.PDF" may be MYGOOD~1.PDF. This is the name the Mac sees,
unless
> the new OS's have changed that, and this will be the file's new name on
the
> Mac.

This was actually changed a while ago, I think in MacOS 8.1 or 8.5.  Macs
can now use Windows long file names, as long as the names are less than 32
characters long.  For file names that are more than 32 characters long, the
Mac will shorten the name by replacing a chunk in the middle with some
gibberish (so MyExcessivelyLongFileNameThatIReallyShouldHaveShortened.pdf
will be turned into something like MyExcessivelyLongFi%A5Dtened.pdf).

 -Stephan Heilmayr