Re: weird page breaks

*** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers list.

From: "Ryan Gibson" <ryan@sight-n-sound.com>
> All:
> I'm working with a file that I've imported from Word that now has random
> and invisible page breaks in the middle of a paragraph in the middle of a
> page. [...]
> Opening the file in MIF shows that, indeed, there is a peculiar code right
> at the point where the random break occurs:
>    <TextRectID 28>

This isn't a peculiar MIF code at all. It appears in every <ParaLine>
statement whose text contents begins on a new page, i.e. at every
page break. But you say:

> Scanning the rest of the document for other instances of  <TextRectID...>
> shows that there are the following at the very end of the MIF file:
>    <TextRectID 18> (TFTag = A) for Body...
>    <TextRectID 10> (appears to be for Headers)
>    <TextRectID 11> (appears to be for Footers)
>    <TextRectID 12> (also (TFTag = A) for Body...)

I'm quite sure if you search the MIF file for TextRectIDs, you'll find
them at each page break in the contents of the body pages.

> Does anyone know how these TextFlow and TextRectID tags do in MIF/FM?

Let me try to explain. In MIF, each body page is described by a <Page>
statement, which in turn includes the definition(s) of the text frame(s)
that appear on the page (<TextRect>). No actual contents is described.

The contents of the body pages are described in <TextFlow> statements,
one each for every flow you have (usually just a single one, labelled A).
In the text flow, each paragraph (<Para>) and each text line (<ParaLine>)
of each paragraph is described. Since the flow's contents is spread out
on several pages, there needs to be an indication of which body page the
text lines belong to. This is done by inserting a reference <TextRectID>
to the text frame defined on the corresponding body page at the start
of the <ParaLine> on top of the page, i.e. at each page break.

So, you have a long <TextFlow> with all contents, broken up by
<TextRectID> references to the <TextRect> defined on a body <Page>.
These <TextRectID> statements indicate a page break as well as what
page the contents belong to (by following the TextRect reference).

Unfortunately, I don't know what causes your page break in the middle
of a paragraph in the middle of a page. But it most likely has nothing
to do with the <TextRectID> statement in itself.

Thomas Michanek, [Michagon], Linkoping, Sweden
Documentation Consultant, FrameMaker/UNIX expert
EMAIL:  mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
WWW:    http://go.to/framers , or go directly to:
        http://w1.133.telia.com/~u13304072/framers