RE: Frame at Seybold Boston

Adobe had a raft of people here in Minneapolis for the FrameUsers conference where they knew they'd encounter a lot of people interested in FrameMaker.  I'm glad to hear that FrameMaker was represented at Seybold. I rather doubt that it would be a good use of marketing dollars to expend the same resources on FrameMaker there as one might on, say, Photoshop or, indeed, most of the other Adobe products. While FrameMaker is the source of much of my income, I am not blind to the fact that it serves a (dare I say it?) niche market.

Focused marketing is the sign of good corporate decision making. (Now that's context.)

Think about it. How long would a presentation have to be to reveal the context in which FrameMaker shines? How many passers-by of an Adobe booth at Seybold would hang around long enough to get the message? What percentage of Seybold attendees has a critical interest in technical publishing anyway? Allocate your marketing budget accordingly.

Again, I'm glad to see that Frame was represented.

Craig Ede
Los Jugadores Bazutadores

>>> "Whelan, Thomas" <twhelan@Brooks.com> 03/07/00 09:27AM >>>

  Hey, we're both right. There was one guy, two machines, two monitors. What
  Mr Richardson obscures is context:

  - There may have been 50 Adobe employees (more, maybe) participating, but
  only one showing Frame. Frame was a footnote.
  - There were large booths set up for other products, Frame was relegated to
  a small portion of one booth in an inconspicuous location.
  - There were large training/demonstration areas set up; they were showing
  InDesign, Acrobat, Photoshop and the like. As I said, maybe there was a
  Frame demo, but I doubt it.

  Tom