Re: Database Publishing

At 09:36 PM 3/6/00 -0800, jthackray@hotmail.com wrote:
>I have been searching and searching and searching for a definitive low cost
>solution to database publishing. I have received good information but only
>on higher end products. So, 2 quick questions: 1) I can receive my data in
>'any format'; is there a prefered format for frame (i.e. ASCI, excel
>etc..). 2) has anyone ever used filepro for database construction and then
>subsequent importing into frame?
UniMerge from Refined Reports is what you're looking for. It's under $700 on
Windows platforms, under $1000 on Unix. You normally produce ASCII database
extracts containing the information to be merged. It's also possible for
UniMerge to issue live queries to a database, and process the resulting answer.
The most common way to output ASCII data for UniMerge is in
character-delimited form. Any database (or Excel for that matter) can output
ASCII data in this format.

The "report template" for UniMerge is an ordinary FrameMaker file which
specifies the structure and formatting of the ready-to-print output. The
report template also includes commands that are executed by UniMerge.
UniMerge merges the data extract with the report template to produce
ready-to-open MIF files.

I've been successfully using UniMerge in my practice for more than 6 years,
and have produced a wide variety of directories, catalogs, questionnaires,
etc. for my clients. In many cases, I've designed turnkey applications for
the client so that he/she can produce demand-driven output. UniMerge is
quite fast, and, in many ways superior to some of those high-priced
products. I have rarely encountered a database publishing application that
couldn't be done with UniMerge.

I have a PDF paper (6 pages) on database publishing with UniMerge and
FrameMaker that is currently on the InFrame website. To get it, go to:

http://www.inframe-mag.com/pages/002-f200.html

You can reach Refined Reports for more information at the phone number/email
address below:

Refined Reports, Inc.
781-224-9887
mmark@progress.com

     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646