Re: FrameMaker Footnote to Endnote Plug-in?

I was expecting Dan Emory to reply to this, but I'll jump in :-)

> To opt for a FrameMaker solution, however, a big problem is the endnotes. On
> Rick Quatro's suggestion, I tried opening one chapter from Word in
> FrameMaker. The Frame filter converts the endnotes to footnotes, but
> otherwise brought in the document formatting intact. My question: Is there
> plug-in (or FrameScript) to convert Frame footnotes to numbered cross
> references?

Dan Emory has come up with a solution (not a plug-in) that sort of converts
footnotes into endnotes. For a description, see the following two posts:
http://www.freeframers.org/archive/99/msg00321.html
http://www.freeframers.org/archive/99/msg00323.html

> If so, does the plug-in work
> two-ways? That is, for reading a PDF onscreen, I would like the numbered
> cross-references (which will look like endnotes) to link back to the text
> where the cross-reference originated.

That cannot be accomplished without a plug-in/script, so you may need to
go for such a solution for the whole problem.

> Shortly, the client will want me to lay it out as a 6 x 9
> book (and an online PDF or e-book) -- and I'd rather not use Word for that.

If you have a "stable" Word document, what are the problems with using Word?
I can understand if you want to use FM or similar, but if you already have
the document working in Word, why not try to make the layout there too?