RE: FrameMaker Footnote to Endnote Plug-in?

Thank you so much for the lead to Dan Emory's solution.

Tom M wrote:

snip
"If you have a "stable" Word document, what are the problems with using
Word? I can understand if you want to use FM or similar, but if you already
have the document working in Word, why not try to make the layout there
too?"
snip

Having been burned more than once by large Word files that unexpectedly
corrupted, I'm leery of doing much more than text edits on a Word file of
this size. As well as the 2000 plus endnotes, there are over 200
illustrations (mainly photos and scans of pages of archival documents), to
hopefully integrate with the relevant text. I suppose we could use an
external program for the graphics -- but I haven't done that with Word and
before, in the long run, suspect it'll probably be less work to export the
document to FrameMaker or InDesign than use the Word graphics editor.

Plus, continuing on this OT digression, from what I can tell, Word requires
that the endnotes are the last part of the document, after the Index. That's
certainly not my preference. Moreover, there are a number of index markers
in the endnotes too; and those are not being picked up when we generate the
index (probably necessitating Cindex or some other external index solution).
Plus, I haven't been able to create sub-sections in the endnote part of
file. That limits our ability to put in headers for navigation (that tell
the reader to which chapter the endnotes apply).

I don't mean to rant against Word. Instead, this document, with features
that are not so uncommon for a historiography, seems to pose different
challenges Word and FrameMaker. Except for the endnote problem, FrameMaker
book features seem better suited for the task than Word, possibly still
better than InDesign too -- but I'm not sure about that.

As soon as I get a chance, I will experiment with Dan Emory's solution --
but I'm not quite clear on first part of the concept (for this project at
least) since a few of the individual endnotes span multiple pages.

Again, thanks

Ed B.

Tom wrote:
I was expecting Dan Emory to reply to this, but I'll jump in :-)

> To opt for a FrameMaker solution, however, a big problem is the
> endnotes. On Rick Quatro's suggestion, I tried opening one chapter
> from Word in FrameMaker. The Frame filter converts the endnotes to
> footnotes, but otherwise brought in the document formatting intact. My
> question: Is there plug-in (or FrameScript) to convert Frame footnotes
> to numbered cross references?

Dan Emory has come up with a solution (not a plug-in) that sort of converts
footnotes into endnotes. For a description, see the following two posts:
http://www.freeframers.org/archive/99/msg00321.html
http://www.freeframers.org/archive/99/msg00323.html

> If so, does the plug-in work
> two-ways? That is, for reading a PDF onscreen, I would like the
> numbered cross-references (which will look like endnotes) to link back
> to the text where the cross-reference originated.

That cannot be accomplished without a plug-in/script, so you may need to go
for such a solution for the whole problem.