Re: FrameMaker's Future

On 13 Jan 2005, at 21:41, Art Campbell wrote:

"The India team has complete ownership for the PageMaker and
FrameMaker products and hence handles all phases of the new feature
releases starting from conceptualizing, designing, delivering and
testing for all current and subsequent releases.

Interesting! I guess that confirms the FrameMakers-gone-to-India stories. I guess they mean "full responsibility" and not "complete ownership."

Here in the U.K., major banks, insurance companies, etc., say that Indian wages are one-twelfth that of the U.K. I don't know how that would apply to a U.S. software company in India, but it could be very, very cheap for Adobe India to port FrameMaker to Mac OS X. And I'm sure they'd do an excellent job. If only there was the will.

Here's a few links to help get them started:

Avoiding Pitfalls when Porting to Mac OS X (149 KB, PDF)
<http://www.integrationnewmedia.com/about/newsroom/whitepaper/ 7keysteps.pdf>

Apple's porting documentation
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Porting/index.html>

BTW, if you download some of Apple's tech docs, you'll notice that they're using RenderX tools.
<http://www.renderx.net/Content/>

Paul