Re: FrameMaker's Future

Dan, I really enjoyed your historical post because I've been working
with FM since the 2.0 beta. And I found it everything you said mostly
accurate, although there's one notable omission in your timeline --
shipping the entire FM code base off to Adobe's Indian Centre for
ownership, which (from the outside) seems to have mandated a steep
learning curve for a number of coders "over there" as well as the
disposal of a number of man-years of experience for the Adobe team
that grew the product from version 5 to 7.

As the www.adobeindia.com (which is probably required occasional
monitoring for FM groupies) site explains:

"The India team has complete ownership for the PageMaker and
FrameMaker products and hence handles all phases of the new feature
releases starting from conceptualizing, designing, delivering and
testing for all current and subsequent releases.

In the recent FrameMaker release, exciting new features like the
conditional text and cross referencing in XML known as round tripping
has been introduced - all of it owned by the India team."

Another interesting footnote to FM's off shoring is that the
milestones section for the Indian site doesn't show anything happening
in 2004... which is probably just an oversight; updating a page more
than once every couple years is a heavy burden. But it'd be nice to
know something happened there last year.

Cheers,
Art

Art Campbell
art.campbell@xxxxxxxxx