XML CDATA sections in structure FM

I would like to embed some CDATA sections in an XML document so that I can
quote XML fragments without having to convert the tag delimiters to
entities.
However, when open the document in FrameMaker, although I have embedded the
CDATA segment inside an element for which I have defined a read rule
specifying forced returns, the XML fragment is being wrapped.
If I convert <> to &lt;&gt; there is no problem.

Can anyone suggest what is wrong - should I be able to do this or do I have
to convert the tag delimiters to entities?

Thanks in advance,

Nick Waanders8