Scaling of graphics in XML documents upon import to FrameMaker

We receive documents in XML format structured according to the DocBook
DTD revision 4.12. We have set up a structured application for handling
the conversion into Frame.

The read-write rule that maps the graphic element in XML to a graphic
object in Frame and scaling the graphic is as follows:

element "imagedata"
  {
    is fm graphic element "imagedata";
    attribute "fileref" is fm property file;

    fm property dpi value is "104";

    attribute "entityref"
  {
    is fm property entity;
    is fm attribute;
  }
}

The graphics comes with the attributes "contentwidth" and "contentdepth"
set to a pixel value. As the size of the graphics varies from a width in
the area of 220px and up to 1276px the above scaling rule is not good
enough. The maximum width of a graphic must be 16cm to fit into our
document template.
With the variation in width of the graphics, the rule must scale the
graphics with a width > 16cm down to exactly 16cm width, and the
graphics with a width < 16cm to a width suitable for good readability.

Any suggestion on how to accomplish this is greatly appreciated.

I've been looking for a good book on the subject of converting XML to
frame and back. So far, I have not found any. So far I've been reading
the FrameMaker 7.0 XML Cook Book User Guide.

Thanks in advance,

Sverre Medalen