Re: Oh dear, Out of work for a while and I forget everything.

Allen:

I know the feeling of brain fade. For some things I've been doing in FM for
ten years, I have to look it up when away from them only a week.

Don't knock the help. Look up page count across a book, and pagination in
the search panel of FM online help.

HTH

Peter

On 7/31/04 12:33 AM, "Allen Schaaf" <soundbyte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maybe this is what they mean when they say brain drain.
>
> Working up a new FM template for about forty 25 to 40 page process
> documents. They were using Word. :( But I got them to get FM 7.1 and I'm
> running it on W2K. :)
>
> On the front cover of each booklet is a variable for the total page count
> for the book, but it isn't working and I'm not sure why.
>
> The template for the book is made up of:
>
>        title_page.fm (2 pages)
>        rev_hist.fm (2 pages)
>        TOC.fm (2 pages)
>        preface.fm (2pages
>        chapter.fm (2 pages)
>        appendix.fm (2 pages)
>        glossary.fm (2 pages)
>        IX.fm (2 pages)
>
> This is with almost no content yet, just footers and a couple of variables
> from the master pages.
>
> Where is the setting to make the whole document print on one side only -
> right hand pages - as there will only be a dozen paper copies and the rest
> of the distribution is PDF/HTML? No duplex printer at the job so.... (I
> haven't done a single sided document in probably ten years!)
>
> The other question is about the total page count variable. Even after
> regenerating the book it still only shows 2 for the number of pages in
> title_page.fm file. What a brain infarction!
>
> You know what Adobe documentation is like so thanks bunches.
>

> Allen Schaaf
>
> Papageno: "What should we say now?"
> Pamina: "The truth, the truth, ...even if it is a crime."

Regards,

Peter Gold
                              KnowHow ProServices
          FrameMaker training, coaching, consulting, template design
                        http://www.knowhowpro.com
Adobe Certified Expert: FrameMaker 7, FrameMaker+SGML Authoring, Acrobat,
                 InDesign, WebWorks Professional Certified trainer
                                     Phone: 612.823.7113