Re: anchoring tables to customized tags

This is a non-normative answer (that is, I don't address the question of
"better or worse?"):  I anchor tables as close to in-text references to
the contents of the table as possible.  In an extreme case, the reference
near the anchor may be implicit, rather than explicit.

In cases where stacked anchors might become an annoyance, I separate the
anchors with hard spaces, or by choosing another, separated but nearby,
anchoring location.  This tactic has always succeeded for the sort of
material I typically work with (scientific articles and books), but might
not succeed for other sorts of material with other design constraints
than those typically associated with single continuous narrative flows...
for example, many technical manuals use parallel flows of various kinds.

Eric

James Eric Lawson <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Research Publications Editor III
University of Washington, Box 357962, Seattle WA  USA  98195
The function of the expert is not to be more right than other people,
but to be wrong for more sophisticated reasons.  -- David Butler