Re: Note re PS Portability/Speed (was Re: PDF Creation Problem)

I believe that in the distinction between PS Optimize for Speed and
PS Optimize for Portability refers to the commands embedded in the
..ps file.

In earlier releases of Acrobat, I understood that if one used a
physical PS printer's driver, choosing Speed would send code macros
(abbreviated instructions) to the printer, which would be expanded by
firmware on the printer; because less code was sent, the transfer of
information to the printer was faster, and because the printer
firmware understood the abbreviated code, it processed the print job
faster. A problem occurred when Distiller could not interpret or skip
these macros in .ps files, and an error "offending command" or
similar appeared.

Further, I understood that when using the Acrobat Distiller printer
driver to create .ps files, there is no difference between
Portability and Speed, because there is no physical printer, hence no
special commands for it to interpret.

Was I misinformed? Did things change in newer releases?

Regards,

Peter Gold
                KnowHow ProServices division of HighSoft, Inc.
www.knowhowpro.com
Adobe Certified Expert: FrameMaker 7, FrameMaker+SGML Authoring,
Acrobat 5, InDesign 2
                                       WebWorks Professional Certified trainer
Voice: 660-691-0701 Toll-free outside S. F. Bay Area: 800-795-6066
FAX: 650-691-0995