Note re PS Portability/Speed (was Re: PDF Creation Problem)

Jim Stauffer wrote:

>... I would also recommend setting the PostScript Options to "Optimize for
>Portability" initially. When everything is working OK, try changing this
>to "Optimize for Speed."

It's highly unlikely that the driver option of "Optimize for Portability"
would have any effect on the FrameMaker crash that was reported
in the original message.

With all FrameMaker versions 5.x and higher, it's a good practice
to keep the (default) option of "Optimize for Speed" at all times,
as it results in better, more efficient PostScript.

PDFs distilled from PS files created with "Optimize for Speed" are
no less portable in any way.

Notice that FrameMaker 7's (Windows) online help incorrectly
recommends to set the PostScript driver to "Optimize for Portability"
(in Troubleshooting and tips on PDF conversion").

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker, Acrobat training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers
FrameMaker-to-PDF Assistants: Form, Navigation, Presentation, Defaults