Re: Assigning master pages

Lynn and others,

I would like to assign a different master page to the last page in a
chapter depending on whether that page is a right- or left-hand page. (The
footers are different on right- and left-hand master pages.) Can FrameMaker
or your client intelligently apply master pages based not only on the
paragraph tag that is mapped but also on which side of the folio a page
falls? During revision, if the pagination changes, I don't want to worry
about a right-hand master page being assigned to a page now falling on the
left-hand folio.

Carol

At 11:22 AM 1/3/2003 -0800, Lynne A. Price wrote:
>At 11:39 AM 1/3/03 -0500, Peter Desjardins wrote:
>
> >I've implemented this by assigning a "firstpage" master page to an
> element tag found at the beginning of each document.  A "lastpage" master
> page is assigned to an element tag that is always last in the
> documents.  Unfortunately, if the document has only one page, both of the
> trigger elements occur on the page  and Framemaker has to choose one
> master page to assign.
> >

>Peter,
>   When a page contains more than one element mapped to a master page, I
> believe FrameMaker
>chooses the page associated with the element that occurs first. Is that
>what you want
>in this case? Are you getting different results?
>   Let me know if FrameMaker does not address your situation. Tassos
> Anastasiou and I
>have also developed an FDK client that assigns master pages based on the
>elements that
>appear on the page. Its functionality overlaps that of FM 7.0; each
>approach handles
>some cases the other does not. Our client currently allows the user to
>specify the
>master page to use on the first page of an element, on the last page of an
>element,
>and on all pages of an element. We are considering also recognizing the
>case of an
>element fitting on a single page.

Carol J. Elkins         A Written Word
Technical writing, indexing, & editing