Assigning master pages

I am trying to create a Framemaker 7 template that will format a large number of imported XML files.  I'm at the last stages of this project and I need to get some final details to work properly.

Here's where I'm stuck (sorry for the long story):

I need to assign a master page to handle text flow formatting on the first page of each document.  I also need to assign another master page to handle formatting on the last page of each document.

The formatting of the first page is always needed.  The formatting of the last page is needed only for documents that have more than one page (if the end of the document is not on the first page).

I've implemented this by assigning a "firstpage" master page to an element tag found at the beginning of each document.  A "lastpage" master page is assigned to an element tag that is always last in the documents.  Unfortunately, if the document has only one page, both of the trigger elements occur on the page  and Framemaker has to choose one master page to assign.

Is there any way to assign a master page to pages that contain both of two elements?  Then I could create a combination master page for that condition.

Can I specify that certain elements or paragraph tags always appear in a specific text flow?  Then I could eliminate the need for one of the master pages.

I'll be very grateful for any suggestions or assistance you can send.

Thanks.

Peter Desjardins
The Oak Group
Wellesley, MA  USA