Re: Assigning master pages

At 01:58 PM 1/3/03 -0700, Carol J. Elkins wrote:
>I would like to assign a different master page to the last page in a
>chapter depending on whether that page is a right- or left-hand page. (The
>footers are different on right- and left-hand master pages.) Can FrameMaker
>or your client intelligently apply master pages based not only on the
>paragraph tag that is mapped but also on which side of the folio a page
>falls? During revision, if the pagination changes, I don't want to worry
>about a right-hand master page being assigned to a page now falling on the
>left-hand folio.

Carol,
  Both my client and the one that comes with FM 7.0 distinguish left- and
right- pages. The FM 7.0 client allows you to map master pages to either
paragraph tags or element tags. You can assign a master page (or pair of
left and right master pages) to the page on which the specified
paragraph or element starts, or to all pages containing any part of the
specified paragraph or the first paragraph of the specified element. The
specified paragraph or element can also set a master page (or left/right
pair) to be used until changed by another paragraph or element.
  While the FM 7.0 client does not have the ability to test specifically
for the last page of a chapter, if there is a paragraph tag that you only
use at the end of the chapter (even that of an empty paragraph), it should
be able to handle the situation you describe.
  One limitations of the FM 7.0 client are that it does not allow master pages
to be associated with paragraphs in tables, although you can associate a master
page with the paragraph containing the anchor for a table or anchored frame.
If you want to use landscape pages for a multipage table with a particular
paragraph tag, you may be able to obtain the desired effect by turning your
landscape pages on for the paragraph containing the table anchor, and reverting
back to the default master pages at the paragraph following the table. If
the table floats, though, you are probably out of luck. Other limitations
of the FM 7.0 client are that it does not allow master pages to be mapped to
all pages of an element, or just to the last page of an element.
  The biggest limitation of my client is probably that it currently only
supports mappings based on elements. We will be happy to extend it to paragraph-
based mapping if someone wants to pay for the work. It does not currently
provide the "until changed" mapping, but does support first page of an element,
all pages of an element, and last page of an element. It allows mappings to
be associated with table, table part, row, cell, and graphic elements as well
as containers.
  By the way, my client can be available for both FM+SGML 6.0 and FM 7.0.
	--Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in FrameMaker+SGML consulting and training
lprice@txstruct.com
http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505
cell phone: (510) 421-2284