RE: problem with imported wmf graphics and grey boxes.

> I use FM+SGML 6.0 my colleague use FM 6.0.

On the same platform? It's possible (but unlikely) that the graphic
import filters are somewhat different between the two versions.
Have you applied the FM6.0 patch to both versions?

> The drawing "caution icon.wmf" is in the specified directory. I
> reimport the drawing to the reference page and all seem OK.
> It works for a couple of days and then suddenly I get the
> grey box again.

I've heard that the WMF filters can be somewhat flaky, in particular
on UNIX. But it sounds more like a resource problem. Gray boxes
often come and go as a result of the memory available to FrameMaker
(and possibly the available free disk space, at least for graphics
imported by copy).
Do your two systems have different memory sizes? Do you more often
run memory-heavy applications at the same time as FM?
Try restarting and only running FM: does the problem persist?

I have a general page on gray boxes which may help:
http://w1.184.telia.com/~u18407300/graphics/graybox.html