Re: AW: PDF document info vanishes when I import formats with"Remove overrides"

Thomas,

You wrote:

>You're absolutely right, Winfried, and it's a bug. The key to your message
>is that you imported formats from the Current doc into the Current doc.
>Interesting -- thanks for alerting us.

The real issue, in my opinion, is not the "side effect" when importing
formats for the same document.

Regardless of whether importing formats from another document or from the
same document, all fields in PDF Setup/DocInfo should be individual file
properties, and should not be affected by the Import Formats operation, any
combination of options. As these fields are file-specific, they should be
stable, and protected like the content found on body pages or even the file
name itself. There is absolutely no logic behind blind resetting of fields
such as Title, Subject and Keywords based on values present in another file.

Until this "feature" is changed, users effectively have to refrain from
using Import Formats with Document Properties turned on. And if they forget
to turn off this category, results are irreversible and the penalty is high
(especially so when importing formats to a book with different chapters).

If you agree with this, perhaps sending Adobe specific feedback/requests
will help fix this in future releases.

(Given the fragile nature of these fields, my recommendation is to use a PS
text frame to define these fields, an approach which provides several other
benefits outlined in my previous message. When using the PS text frame
approach with FrameMaker 5.5.6 and 6.0, one doesn't get the expected
results, however. This can be solved with the /IgnoreDOCINFO settings in
the FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers.)

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker-to-Acrobat: TimeSavers / Advanced Techniques Seminars / Solutions
New! "Testing PDFs" workbook