Re: Gigantic .PS files and errors in .PDFs (LONG)

Can somebody from Adobe help with points raised here?

Dan wrote:

> If I were you, I'd try printing the individual files within the book to
>
> PDF. This should isolate the file(s) which are producing the errors,
> and may also may help you to determine whether the bloat problem is
> occurring in all files or only in certain files. If you find that the
> same file(s) producing the errors are also the main source of the
> bloat, then in that file, try printing it to PDF in individual page
> ranges (different .ps filename for each page range) This should allow
> you to find the particular page range where the problem is occurring.
> Once the problem page range is identified, print each page within that
> page range to PDF to (hopefully)
> localize the problem to a particular page.

It's not just one book, it's all of them; so this approach, apart from
taking time I haven't got just now, seems unlikely to be productive. I
agree on the general approach, though.

> If none of the above steps find the problem, try printing the entire
> book to PDF with Acrobat Data turned off. If both the file bloat and
> the errors go away, then the cause must be in either the links or the
> bookmarks. So next, repeat the book printing with Acrobat Data turned
> on, but bookmarks turned off. If the problems go away, then something
> is wrong with bookmark generation. If the problem persists, then the
> links are the culprit.

But it all works perfectly with Windows NT, and has done for a couple of
years; that's what I can't figure out. I now find my colleague's Win2K
machine produces PS files nearly twice as large as mine. Even so, Acrobat
4.05 on NT distills them - but not on my W2K. Hers does it OK.

(Later) I've now done a print to PS with Acrobat Data turned off, on my
208 MB PS file generator machine. This gives me a far, far smaller file
size: 16.8 MB. The Acrobat has over 6000 links and 1300 bookmarks in a
1000-page document. Is that the price of sophistication? Go from NT to
W2K with loads of Acrobat features, and you decuple the PS file size and
get fatal errors in the PDF?

> If, after all these steps, you still are unable to localize the
> problem, perhaps you should consider upgrading to Frame 6.0, which has
> the new Optimize PDF feature,

I can't upgrade since our clients use FrameViewer on Windows, SGI IRIX,
Solaris and IBM AIX, and FV 6 does not exist for IRIX. We also have an
upcoming problem with FV 5.5.6 and AIX 5.1.

> and also upgrading to Acrobat 5.05, which has a number of bug fixes.

This upgrade should help with Acrobat, yes - but with printing to
Postscript? BTW, Acrobat Reader 5 is not compatible UNIX, nor is 4.05
with AIX 5.1 on IBM, Solaris 7 or 8, or IRIX 6.5. (In some cases they
happen to work OK; others, no.) Linux: 4.05, no Search available.

Mark Rives wrote:

> I jumped from NT4 to Win2k and discovered that Frame 5.5 is not
> supported.  I had to move to Frame 6.0.  Otherwise, there were a lot
> of font problems that made it unusable.  With Frame 6.0 and Win2k
> I get similar results to those obtained with Frame 5.5 and NT4.
> I'm not sure, Frame 5.5.6 may be OK under Win2k but Frame 5.5 is
> definitely not.  Check Adobe.com to make sure.

I'm on 5.5.6, and I can't go to 6.0 for reasons explained above.

> I've had great results with Win2k, at least as stable as NT4 now
> that I have decent RAM and all the service pack stuff installed.

1 GB RAM and SP2. Is there any better around?

> The Microsoft Office 2k shortcut bar is reported to cause problems so I
>
> do not use it.

OK, I've taken off the Office shortcut bar and the W2K "quick launch"
bar. We'll see. (Pity that - I use them a lot. No problem on W98...?)