Re: new system OS ???

Stuart,

Windows XP "Home" is "dumbed down" from the "Pro" version in
several ways:

(1) You can only access a subset of the file management / security
features with the "Home" version.

(2) Capabilities associated with networking with domains and Active
Directory are missing or severely restricted. Thus, your ability to
put together a small network of carefully managed computers is
highly restricted with the "Home" edition, even more so than with
Windows'9x/Me.

(3) I am told that a number of other system management utilities
are missing in the "Home" edition.

The base operating system is the same, but you lose quite a bit of
flexibility to subsequently become part of a larger network of
computers, if necessary.

Understand that my 34 years in the "bizz" tend to make me somewhat
of a picky, demanding, power user. As such, I wouldn't touch the
"Home" edition with a ten foot pole. Having said that, for most
personal purposes other than networking, I would certainly not
dispute that XP Home is orders of magnitude "better" than
Windows'9x/Me in terms of stability.

        - Dov