RE: Footnote question--font for number too big

I haven't done this, but this would be the first thing I'd try, as in
my experience one can often trick programs into creating styles they
won't let you apply.

1. Create a character style sized  such that when you create a
footnote from it, the number is the size you want. This isn't the
style OF the footnote tag; it's a size of body text in which you
INSERT the footnote.

2. Apply it the end of your chapter title, right after the last word.
If necessary, create a blank space in the new format.

3. Now, with your insertion point in the new character style in the
title, create the footnote. (If that doesn't work, try creating TWO
spaces in the new format, and inserting the footnote between them.)

4. Delete any now-unneeded spaces.

HTH,
Wilma

--