Re: real dumb frame/xml question

Similar to SGML, XML isn't 'imported', it's 'parsed', meaning that the XML content in a file is read in a fairly intelligent way and converted into meaningful chunks before being placed into a FrameMaker document. FM+SGML includes a lot of functionality to parse SGML, handle entities and attributes, and map it all into the FM document model.

XML is different enough from SGML that the SGML tools won't work on it directly. If you're careful, it's possible to convert XML into SGML and import it into FM+SGML that way.

It wouldn't be that hard to write a stand-alone filter to read XML and pull out most of the text content, but that's a lowest-common-denominator solution.

Unicode translation would also need to be done, to convert any Unicode content into the FrameMaker internal character encoding, but that's not that difficult. XML can also contain other encodings, though Unicode is preferred.

...Lee