Re: Platform Phunnies -- Was: Frame Crash - Internal Error: 6004, 6016882, 7541026, 0

Dov:

> So please quit the self-righteous gloating. NO current OS version is
particularly
> easy to install, update, and maintain ...

I am well aware of the flakiness of Mac OS.  I leave MY Windows 2000
computer running all the time with very few SYSTEM crashes (programs are
another matter).  On the other hand, if my Mac only crashes or freezes the
system once a day that is doing well!

You commented that Mac applications install all sorts of data, preferences,
and executables all over the System folder.  That is why I use Conflict
Catcher to reconcile my old and new System folders when doing a clean
system install.  That way, you can ensure that the new system has, not only
all the new and (we hope) latest system files, but also the files that
various applications require.  As for doggy droppings, there are a number
of utilities that scan your hard disks and list all the orphan files that
can be deleted.

I just can't believe that, when you clean install Windows XXX, some
enterprising hacker hasn't come up with a similar tool to update the new
Registry and the WIN* folder with all the bits and pieces that currently
installed applications require.  So I wasn't gloating, just being
incredulous: I too think Mac OS 9 stinks -- and I'm a Mac religious
fanatic.  Sure hope that Mac OSX 10.x delivers the stability goods!

(I get into some fine old arguments at the Apple Users' Society of
Melbourne [AUSOM -- get it!] when I try to point out the obvious failings
of Mac OS and how, like it or not, UNIX and Windows NT/2000/XP do it
better.)

I would not regard having to reinstall all my apps as an opportunity to
clean up my hard disk.  That sounds like making a virtue of necessity.

So, hackers, what about the Windows clean install utility!

Regards,
Hedley

Copyright (C) MYOB Limited 2002

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor