Re: Font warlocks: anomalous behaviour of font options in Para Designer

Hedley,

I think that the anomalies that you are encountering stem
from the fact that there are fundamental differences between
how the MacOS and Windows deal with fonts and styles.

Apple Garamond was a very early TrueType font designed
exclusively for use on the Macintosh. The internal weight
fields within the font were not designed to deal with the
quirkiness with which Windows and especially Windows
applications want to have neat packages of "regular," "bold,"
"italic," and "bold italic." Font families with additional
weights such as "light," "ultra-light," "book," medium,"
"black," "ultra," plus other weights cause havoc under
Windows. All sorts of machinations much be resorted to in
order to deal with this with some oddball results.

For example, the Adobe version of the ITC Souvenir font
family has light, medium, demibold, and bold members.
Under Windows, if you apply bold to text in light, the
result is text in demibold and if you apply bold to text
in medium, the result is text in bold. This is, believe
or not, by design and for Adobe to "get it correct" required
knowledge of exactly how the internal font mechanisms work
within Windows. And internal values within the fonts are
further tweaked to make sure that the same associations
work when the Mac versions of these fonts are used with
applications under MacOS.

Is this good? No it isn't. It is exactly why Adobe has
moved to use its own font subsystem in its applications
such as Acrobat, Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign
so that users can choose fonts by exact weights and
styles they want as opposed to having to guess and then
pray. Considering everything, both FrameMaker and PageMaker,
older Adobe applications, do a damned good job dealing with
these issues on a cross-platform basis, it does require
fonts that have been properly "packaged."

Back to Apple Garamond. Others will hopefully weigh in on
this, but I believe that Apple Garamond was sourced from
Bitstream and was never intended for use other than on
Macintosh and by authorized employees and agents of Apple
Computer. It is possible that the Windows versions of these
fonts that you have are unauthorized "conversions" to the
Windows TrueType format from the Mac TrueType format.
In fact, there is not much of a difference between these
formats and programs can "convert" from one to the other
on a Macintosh without lossiness. The Mac TrueType differs
from the Windows version by storing the font in the font
file's "resource fork" as opposed to the file's "data fork".
Plus, there appears to be a header prefixed to what is otherwise
the common TrueType font format that would used under Windows.
But since this font and its styles were not setup and reconciled
to be used under Windows, don't expect it work "correctly."

        - Dov