Re: typographical name for the # symbol

Thomas and Roger wrote:

> Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 13:16:16 +0200
> From: "Thomas Michanek" <thomas.michanek@telia.com>
> Subject: Re: typographical name for the # symbol
>
> *** The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.
>
> From: "Roger Jones" <Roger.Jones@rjpc.demon.co.uk>
> > I am seeking the proper typographical name for the # symbol. I've seen it
> > called:
> > * crosshatch
> > * hash
> > * number
> > * pound
> > * sharp
> > * octothorpe.
> >
> > None of these seems entirely convincing as a typographical term (cf.
> > ampersand), the last in the list being a telephone-industry invention of
> > relatively recent years.
>
> All of the above are more or less commonly used names for the '#' sign,
> but from a typographical standpoint, the name "sharp" is incorrect, as this
> is a musical symbol that have a different appearance (glyph, if you like).
> Names like "number" and "pound" reflects the *context* or *usage*,
> not the appearance. "crosshatch" refers to the appearance. I'm not sure
> where the name "hash" comes from.

"Hash" is common usage down here.  For example, I use telephone banking regularly
and it is referred to as the hash key in the automated verbal instructions.

Dave

--

Dave Reynolds                             Phone (64) (3) 358 1029
Senior Technical Author                   Fax (64) (3) 358 3520
Tait Electronics Ltd                      Email: dave.reynolds@tait.co.nz
PO Box 1645
Christchurch
New Zealand