Re: formatting indexes

My e-mail of earlier in the week expressed a similar interest. You might
look at the following to consider the shareware Index TOols Professional.
Still, I would like to get a response to my query about the format of the
continued staement .

Greg

*******Previous e-mail******************

Okay, so it is shareware and I shouldn't expect too much from it, but...

Our first concept was to use ITP and IXGen as indexing tools for our
documentation. What we discovered about ITP was that it actually changes
the index marker within the document into a format that wouldn't work with
subsequent steps in the publishing process. However, I intend to use its
merging and continue capabilities.

Merging works fine - taking a single sub-entry and moving it up to the
primary level with a comma separator. I recommend it for consistency in
your indexes.

It seemed that the "continue" capability was the answer to one of my
serious concerns about a very large index with primary headings covering
several pages. However, it has a quirky feature that I would like to
resolve. When the primary entry has one or more page reference links
following it, the ITP continue does indeed create an additional primary
entry with a top-of-page locator, BUT it also carries the page reference
links as a text string with the primary entry. For example, on the bottom
of one page

I Love Lucy 23,24,25     (all links)
     Desi 45        (link)
     Ethel 32  (link)
     Fred 20        (link)
[this is the bottom of the page]

[top of next page]

I Love Lucy 23,24,25     (text - no links)
     Lucy 15

Has anybody else tried this and found the same problem? How are you getting
around it? I assume we could build a FrameScript to create the continues,
but this software appeared to have done it already.

Greg Hamill

"David O'Brien" <obriend@mincom.com>@lists.frameusers.com on 07/02/2001
12:36:14 AM

Please respond to "David O'Brien" <obriend@mincom.com>